Friday, December 11, 2009

Fact or Fiction: Are Canned Foods Slowly ... Killing Us?

Healthy Living on Shine: "But really? How concerned should we be about this warning? I asked Melina Jampolis, M.D., a doctor who specializes in nutrition and healthy eating, and who also happens to be a health expert along with Sanjay Gupta for CNN. Here's what she had to say:

'The data on bisphenol A and levels that are toxic in adult humans is not conclusive so until it is, I think the much bigger problem is the 66 percent of Americans who are overweight or obese, and the fact that the majority of them are not eating fruits and especially vegetables everyday so I would hate to discourage people from eating an inexpensive and readily available year-round source of vegetables like canned tomatoes,' she says. 'Because of the bisphenol A potential, I would not feed them daily to a baby or pregnant of nursing women but using them in a homemade turkey chili or health vegetable soup once a week should really not be a problem in my opinion.'"

No comments: